Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Qualification for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships

Earlier this year at the 70.3 Mont Tremblant in Canada, I was fortunate enough to grab a roll-down slot for the Ironman 70.3 World Championships.  I say fortunate because there were only 3 slots for my age group and I had finished 11th.  At the roll-down they made their way down the list and guess what...my name was called!  Actually, it was called 3 times!!!  Talk about crazy, but there were two other "Scott's" ahead of me in my age group.  Each time I thought I was being called only to find out that someone with the same first name finished in front of me.

I had put a lot of hard work going into the Mont Tremblant race and was definitely happy with my effort on the day.  I went into the race hoping to qualify, but knew I would most likely have to get lucky and snag a roll down spot as I just don't have that top of the age-group speed (yet). 

Typically, roll downs don't make it as far as 11th.  This is especially true after the race was moved a couple years ago from Clearwater, FL to Henderson, NV (outside Las Vegas).  This venue switch has made the race a true championship with a tough bike and run course in the desert heat.  Needless to say, I was super excited about the opportunity to get out there and mix it up with the best in the world (by mix it up, I mean get passed by).

While I qualified for the world champs, in a sense I felt like I "snuck in."  I want to be one of those athletes who earned their spot outright and not through the roll-down.   I want to be at the front my age group, racing for a podium spot in the big competitive races.  That is the goal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment