Thursday, October 18, 2012

Marathon Virginity

I am a marathon virgin.  There, I said it...it's out in the open and I feel better. 

 
I pulled the plug and signed up for the Richmond Marathon on November 10th with a buddy of mine.  I have been thinking of doing one for awhile, but have come up with a host of good reasons not to.

One of those good reasons is that I have been enjoying the triathlon scene so much and I just couldn't didn't fit the required run volume into my training.  I tend to err on the side of lower run volume in my training because I find I pick up little nagging injuries when I increase it too much.  That said, I have noticed that over the past few years my body has slowly adpated to my increased run training.  Nevertheless, my body still balks some along the way, which has given me pause to sign up for the marathon. 

The second reason (aka excuse) is that frankly, I don't like being mediocre or unsuccessful at something, so the best way of not letting myself fail at the marathon has been to avoid it.  Sometimes though you must throw out all that "proper preparation" attitude out the window because if you always wait for that "perfect time" you will likely never get your feet wet.    

On that note...as mentioned before, I plan to lose my virginity (marathon) in front of thousands of people on November 10th....wish me luck.

Journey on... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment