Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Goals and Doubts...

I go into every race, big or small, long or short, with a goal(s).  My goals can range from specific times and splits to training prep for other races to just having fun and finishing.  With that in mind, I have an "A" goal for the Richmond Marathon. 

To set the stage for this all important goal I have included part of a real fake conversation between a seasonsed marathoner and me, the marathon virgin.  

Seasoned Marathoner:  So what's your goal for the Richmond Marathon?

Me:  I want to qualify for the BOSTON MARATHON.  [confidently]

Seasoned Marathoner:  No, but really what's your goal...have  you even done a marathon yet?! 

Me:  I want to qualify for Boston.  And...uh...no...I haven't done a marathon before, but I've done a bunch of halves. [less certain]

Seasoned Marathoner:  Wow. [sarcastically]  Let me get this srtaight...you want to run a sub - 3 hour and 5 minute marathon and do it on your first try?  You don't have a clue do you?!  

Me:  um...I think so...I mean...I've done some solid training.  I know it's going to be tough, but I think I'm ready.

Seasoned Marathoner:  Patience young grasshopper...much to learn you have...

Me: Crap! [dammit Yoda]

And so goes the conversations I've been having with myself over the past few weeks about my expectations for the Richmond Marathon.  After some workouts I'm on Cloud 9, thinking "I'm ready" and I feel confident that I can execute on race day.  Other days all I think about is "how in the world am I going to do this for 26.2 miles?!" 

Despite these doubts, I'm trying to take them as a positive sign (water half-full) that I have set a worthy goal.  I mean, if I knew that I was going to qualify then I would have sold myself short.  I think this goal is just far enough out of reach that its going to take a special day to achieve it.  I know it's going to hurt, it's going to be hard, it's going push my mind/body to their limits...and YET, it's attainable, I know it. 

Guess there's only one way to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment